Our mathematics curriculum is accessible to all and will maximise the development of every child’s ability and academic achievement. We deliver lessons that are creative and engaging. We want our children to make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems. We want our pupils to be able to apply their mathematical knowledge to science and other subjects. We want children to realise that mathematics has developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. We want them to know that it is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. As our pupils progress, we want our pupils to be able to understand the world, have the ability to reason mathematically, have an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
- we aim to promote children’s curiosity and enable them to safely risk take and learn from first-hand experiences wherever necessary
- our primary focus is to support the children to become fluent in mathematical understanding from the most basic level so that they can build upon their own understanding
- we aim to enable our children to develop conceptual understanding, recall of number facts and patterns and apply their knowledge rapidly and accurately
- we aim to promote children’s ability to reason through opportunities to discuss their thinking and understanding. This emphasis may result in less written work, but a much deeper understanding.
- we promote problem solving and solution finding. This is not only true in mathematical learning but in almost all aspects of school life.
- we aim to support children to make progress at their own pace. Often misconceptions cause greater difficulties at a later stage of learning. We will promote smaller group learning opportunities whenever possible and appropriate, and encourage children to revisit their thinking to ensure they feel secure in their understanding and able to move confidently on to next steps and challenges.
In accordance with our school aims, we provide a variety of experiences which will encourage our pupils to reach their full mathematical potential by developing a positive and confident attitude towards mathematics.
The teaching of mathematics across the whole school adheres to the National Curriculum mathematics programmes of study 2014 and uses the NCETM spines and resources to support a mastery approach to mathematics.
Our Maths policy provides you with details on how we implement this intent through our curriculum. We have also provided our progression documents and Early Maths information so that you can see how Maths progresses throughout our school.